Creative Brand Strategy

21.04.2026 - 19.07.2026 / Week 1 — Week 14

Chan Zhi-Ren Zenndan / 0369069

Creative Brand Strategy / Bachelor of Design (Honours) in Creative Media / Taylor's University


Table of Contents

    1. Lectures

    2. Instructions

    3. Task 1

    4. Task 2

    5. Task 3

    6. Feedback

    7. Reflection


1. Lectures

Week 1

Mr. Max briefed the class on the module overview, outlining the semester's theme, assignment structures, and expectations for the upcoming tasks. We then consulted with him on our selected topic along with a problem statement.

Week 2

We explored essential components of brand strategy, specifically focusing on things like brand purpose, vision, mission, values, etc. This knowledge equips us with the necessary tools to break down and analyze our case studies and selected campaign later in the semester.

Week 3

We focused on developing our campaign proposal using the provided template. This involved defining our campaign direction, drafting a strong problem statement, identifying audience insights, and establishing the project's core mission, vision, and values.

Week 4

This week featured a brief lecture on brand positioning, focusing on the real-world application and importance of brand positioning maps. We also explored Unique Selling Propositions (USP) and Unique Value Propositions (UVP) to help define our own campaigns.

Week 5

Presentation Day

Week 6

This week briefs us on Task 2, and how we should build our brand identity foundation first before making any posters. Logo development is our first priority, and 20 sketches are to be presented next week. Need 10 icons from the 100 symbol references.

Week 7

Consultation week

Week 8

Workshop with Dr. Cleaver.

Week 9

Task 3 brief

Week 10-14

Consultation weeks


2. Instructions

Fig 2.0 Module Information Booklet


3. Task 1: Case Study Analysis (Part A)

Assignment 1 has 2 parts: Part A is a situation analysis, and Part B is a presentation. For Part A, we had to choose an existing cause or campaign related to mental health awareness and analyze it as a case study. 

The narrowed-down idea I went with was "perfectionism" in young adults.

After a few searches, I was able to find 3 cases and got ready to start analyzing.

Case Study 1 - Why Do It?

Note: Out of the 3 studies presented, Case Study 1 was submitted for the Case Study Analysis Report assignment.


Fig 3.0 Case study 1

Case Study 2 - Reframes: Discovering the Possible

Fig 3.1 Case study 2

Case Study 3 - #ShareTheFirst

Fig 3.2 Case study 2

Proposal

After completing our case study write-ups, we filled out the assigned campaign proposal template. This allowed us to map out our ideas and adjust them based on what our case study had missed.


Fig 3.3 Campaign Proposal

Right after that, we are to prepare slides for our presentation on Week 5. The presentation requires us to go through our case study first, then our campaign proposal. See Fig 3.4 for the final presentation slides.

We were told before presentation day that we are to present our campaign proposal only. However, the slides attached shows both the case study and campaign proposal.
Fig 3.4 Campaign Proposal


4. Task 2: Brand Guideline / Brand Book

For this task, I need to create a complete Brand Guideline as a single PDF based on my approved campaign strategy. This document acts as the official master reference for my brand's visual identity, and I have to finish it before starting my actual campaign applications or journey map. The main goal isn't just to present design work, but to explain the rationale behind my decisions and prove how every element connects back to my campaign message and audience.

My brand book needs to cover a few key areas. After setting up the basic cover, introduction, and table of contents, I will lay out my brand overview, detailing the core vision, target audience, and tone of voice. Then comes the design system itself, where I break down the logo guidelines, color palette codes, typography hierarchy, and visual assets like icons. Finally, I need to include mockups of real-world brand collateral, like social media assets and stationery, to show how the identity works in practice.

To start, we had to come up with logo sketches for our brand. Fig 4.0 shows my initial ideas, 2 of which are to be narrowed down to.

Fig 4.0 Logo ideas

Fig 4.1 shows the refined versions along with a list of 100 symbols that represent the theme of the brand.

Fig 4.1 Refined logo ideas & 100 symbols

From there, Mr. Max helped me make a decision between 2 ideas, along with the 15 symbols I were to choose from.

Fig 4.2 Logo and symbols finalisation

Once I have designed all the assets I need, I used one of the brand guideline templates provided by Mr. Max, and started filling in the details of my brand.

Fig 4.3 Overview of guidelines

Fig 4.4 DRAFT Brand Guidelines Final


5. Task 3: Brand and Campaign Strategy Design

For Task 3, I need to bring my campaign to life using the visual identity system I built in Task 2. This assignment focuses on applying my brand consistently across four major deliverables to communicate a clear mental health awareness message.

First, I have to design three functional campaign applications like posters, social media posts, a website interface, or a journaling kit, presented as proper mockups that work together as a single cohesive system. Second, I need to create an Impression Artwork or Journey Map that maps out the audience experience from how they first discover the campaign to how they interact with it and what they take away. Third, I must build one fully functional Impactful Project as the centerpiece, such as a 30 to 60 second MP4 promo video, an interactive Figma quiz app, or an illustration book PDF. Finally, I will compile everything into a professional pitch deck that follows my brand guidelines, presenting the problem, target audience, design solutions, and journey map. Everything is compiled into a master PDF, while the Impactful Project is submitted separately in its working file format.

I first started by looking back at the first task's presentation. The big idea I had proposed was to have a physical booth on campus where students conduct a timed task.

To do that, I first have to plan out applications that follow sequentially. The applications I have decided to have are:
  1. Poster series
  2. Physical booth
  3. Reflection cards
Starting with the poster series, I decided to have each poster convey a different message than the others. And since I had planned to have this activity set up in Taylor's, I want these posters set up in busy areas like around Syopz Mall or in the Student Life Centre. The posters target three areas: paralysis, comparison, and cost. The first draft can be seen in Fig 5.0.

Fig 5.0 Poster series application, 1st draft

According to Mr. Max, the direction is good, but I just needed to adjust and refine certain areas.

Fig 5.1 Feedback on posters

Once I made the changes, I moved on to the second application, which are the reflection cards. I tried to keep the design consistent with DRAFT's brand identity. Fig 5.2 shows my draft for the reflection cards.

Fig 5.2 Reflection cards, 1st draft

Mr. Max noted that the idea is good, but there are necessary changes needed to be made.

Fig 5.3 Feedback on reflection cards

After adjusting both applications, I worked on the booth itself. Fig 5.4 shows the second draft of the booth.

Fig 5.4 Booth, 2nd draft

Mr. Max noted that the booth was fine as well, but it just needed small changes.

Fig 5.5 Feedback on booth

The finalised versions of each application can be seen in Fig 5.6.

Fig 5.6 Finalised applications

As for the User Journey Map, I also adjusted according to Mr. Max's feedback.

Fig 5.7 Feedback on User Journey Map

Fig 5.8 shows the finalised user journey map.

Fig 5.8 Finalised User Journey Map

As for the impactful project, I decided to come up with a promotional video for DRAFT, but not in the traditional sense. See Fig 5.9 to watch the video. The idea goes like this:

The video follows a student who gets stuck mid-problem statement, spirals after seeing a friend's graduation post on Instagram, but ultimately undoes his deletions and continues anyway without feeling ready. The video is meant to resonate with students who recognise the loop of doubting their own work before it is even finished.

Fig 5.9 Finalised Promotional Video

The video above shows the finalised version, but I had sent an earlier version to Mr. Max to gather some feedback.

Fig 5.10 Feedback on Impactul Project

Once I had all 3 items ready (applications, user journey map, impactful project), it was time to prepare my final presentation slides.

Fig 5.11 shows my final slides for presentation on Week 14.
Fig 5.11 Final Presentation slides


6. Feedback

Week 1

Consulted Mr. Max on the campaign topic of perfectionism and burnout in young adults. He approved the direction and confirmed it fits within the mental health awareness theme for the module.

Week 2

Mr. Max liked the Nike report's audience insight and brand analysis, but said the visual section needs to be more strategic and we need to add actual next steps for student burnout in our own proposal.

Week 3

Mr. Max approved the "Draft" direction, positioning, and booth concept, but I need to flesh out the visuals (color palette, typography, poster layouts, and display wall) before the presentation.

Week 4

Mr. Max approved the project for the presentation next week, liking the problem statement, audience insight, and experiential approach. However, he noted that the booth flow, customer journey, and prompt design require more sequential detail, the visual identity needs reference images, and the booth environment must remain low-pressure for students.

Week 5

Presentation week

Week 6

Task 2 brief

Week 7

Sent 20 logo sketches via Teams, Mr. Max selected 2 that have potential; to be refined further.

Week 8

Sent 100 symbols via Teams, Mr. Max helped choose the strongest 15 from the list.

Week 9

Consultation on selected icons, color palettes, and typography. Refine icons to resemble more of the dotted lines in the logo, make some look blocky instead of just a stroke. Chosen color palette and typography is fine

Week 10

Minimum sizes section must have a range. Relook at color palette choices - maybe more sketch-themed. Add patterns to letterhead and business card.

Week 11

Strengthen the CTA and visual metaphors on all 3 posters.

Week 12

Reflection card and booth idea is good. Certain parts of the card design is too dark, and texts on the booth panel should be at the top, not at the bottom.

Week 13

Video concept for impactful project is fine, but the last few frames lack the brand identity. User journey map is fine as well but needs clarity in some areas.

Week 14

Presentation week


7. Reflection

Looking back on this module, it has been a complete rollercoaster. It was packed with knowledge and definitely stressful at times, but touching on mental health made the experience really meaningful. Tackling a topic that is so often overlooked felt important, and choosing to focus on an issue I personally deal with was both a challenge and a therapeutic process. Having that personal insight actually made developing the brand and campaign ideas much more personal and fulfilling.

It all started with Task 1, where analyzing Nike's "Why Do It" campaign helped me realize that my proposed big idea, a timed activity booth on campus, was completely unique. Knowing that it had never been done before gave me the confidence to really capitalize on it. Moving into Task 2, I hit a bit of a roadblock with the visual identity. I struggled because I was overthinking how to represent my core theme, perfectionism, inside the logo itself. I eventually learned that a logo does not need to literally depict the entire concept to be effective. Luckily, Mr. Max spotted potential in two of my drafts, which helped me anchor the visual direction and build out the full brand guidelines.

By the time I reached Task 3, having that established brand framework made the design process flow so much smoother. I felt much more comfortable reaching out to Mr. Max for input on my drafts, and I became far more receptive to his feedback and advice. Bringing everything together into a full campaign activation based on a topic so close to my heart was incredibly rewarding. It was a tough journey, but I am really proud that I was able to translate a personal topic into a complete campaign strategy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Brand Corporate Identity

Publishing Design

Advanced Interactive Design — Task 1: Thematic Interactive Website Proposal